The council approves certain activities by issuing permits and licences. Buskers need a permit to busk in the council area. If you intend to undertake burning, you will need a council permit.

Licences are needed for many other activities including the installation of waste control systems, vending on council land, food business notifications and weddings on reserves. See the full list of activities requiring licences.

Councils also make by-laws, codes and regulations for the management of specific local development and planning matters.