Planning & Development

You need to get council approval for new buildings and renovations. For further information and guidance on applying for approvals, the council has several guides.

Making an application tells you which structures need approval, how you go about applying for approval, how to lodge your application, the process applications go through, how the decisions are made and, if you disagree with a decision, how you go about appealing it.

The guide to minor residential outbuildings provides information on building sheds, carports, garages and pergolas. It has useful checklists on what to provide to the council, including the plans and elevations. It includes examples of the kinds of drawings to submit.

Information required with an application provides a handy checklist of essential information required by the council and the required details to do with the site plan and building plans. It has useful information on the building rules assessment and details about land division.

In non-sewered areas, a Wastewater Works application may also be required by our Environmental Health section. See our Wastewater Management webpage for further information.

There are many more forms and information sheets to help you with your planning and development enquiries.

For more information, contact the Development Services section on (08) 8384 0666.